picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus โž•

Ingredients

byalliahmae user profile picture

byalliahmae

Dry/Resilient

dot1,093 Views

precautions and reminders for a beginner retinol user

Hi loves! Im planning on using retinol infused products to deal with some of my hyperpigmentations ans this is also my first time attempt to do so. Do you have any tips or precautions to what i should and should not do? Or do you discourage from using this? Please drop your suggestions, thank you๐Ÿ’—
upvote

comment

27 Comments

FragranceFree4Life user profile picture

FragranceFree4Life

Dry/Sensitive

Find a good sunscreen that you can commit to wearing every single day that doesnโ€™t irritate your skin at all because if it irritates your skin even a little bit right now then it will irritate your skin a lot once you start the retinol. I find my skin can tolerate mineral sunscreen better than chemical, Iโ€™ll tag some favorites.
UV Physical SPF 41

EltaMD
UV Physical SPF 41

star rating

(0)

favorite

Mattescreen SPF 40

Supergoop!
Mattescreen SPF 40

star rating

(21)

favorite

Dive-In Daily Suncream SPF50+ PA++++

Torriden
Dive-In Daily Suncream SPF50+ PA++++

star rating

(21)

favorite

upvote

comment

byalliahmae

Dry/Resilient

Ohhh so that means i should also reconsider my sunscreens. Good to know about this info, thank you
upvote

comment

FragranceFree4Life user profile picture

FragranceFree4Life

Dry/Sensitive

Start with a low percentage of retinol and work your way up slowly. It can take several days or even weeks for the irritation, peeling and dryness to start so itโ€™s tempting to think that you can switch to a higher strength after the first few days of not having a reaction.
upvote

comment

byalliahmae

Dry/Resilient

What is the most basic concentration for beginners?
upvote

comment

elaineganuelas user profile picture

elaineganuelas

Oily/Resilient

Aside from starting low and slow, do take note that it can't be combined with other actives in the same routine like Vitamin c, aha, bha
upvote

comment

byalliahmae

Dry/Resilient

How low is low concentration? Huhuuu like any reference towards what's the ideal starter percentage?
upvote

comment

Veracity user profile picture

Veracity

Oily/Resilient

Always start slow and low. Low concentration not more than 0.3% for retinol if your skin never had retinol experience. Slow with application, I first started with once a week and slowly work it out throughout the month and a half until I get to 4x a week now. Purging, drying skin is normal for the first 2- 3 weeks so donโ€™t be discouraged, keep using. Results should be seen in 2 months. Always follow with your favorite moisturizer, do it at night routine is best recommended. A good sunscreen for the next day. Some articles on internet mentioned to apply on dry skin, some donโ€™t. I apply on damp skin for better absorption but you will have to find your own preference. If youโ€™re sensitive better apply on dry skin. Congrats on your retinol journey and welcome to the club ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ’•.
upvote

comment

byalliahmae

Dry/Resilient

Do you put retinol only on certain parts? Or can i apply it in my entire face?? I use lactic acid in my entire face so im curious as to how retinols should be applied
upvote

comment

PutriThasha user profile picture

PutriThasha

Oily/Resilient

Hi! You can start with a low percentage retinol and build your way slowly. Maybe just one or two times a week? Don't forget to use moisturize and sunscreen! Ah, and don't mix it with another actives. Hope this helps โœจ
upvote

comment

byalliahmae

Dry/Resilient

How low is a good starter concentration? I really have no idea towards the percentage of retinols :(((
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x VT Cosmetics | Reedle Shot Face Mask Set & Reedle Shot 300 event

Picky x VT Cosmetics | Reedle Shot Face Mask Set & Reedle Shot 300

Audience

All Users

Deadline

October 25th

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!