picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Brand Talk

hedrix user profile picture

hedrix

Oily/Resilient

dot401 Views

Repetitive Skin Care Products

Okay I know this may sound a little controversial but hear me out on this one. Different brands have been producing the same product with the same active ingredient/s (e.g. Cica, Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide and etc.), and it’s not a bad thing, however, it’s repetitive and I feel like brands only do this just to hop on a trending skincare ingredient. I want to see some underrated skin care ingredient like Snow Mushroom, Cotton Fruit extract, and Pear fruit extract (Tagging my favorite products with their corresponding star ingredient). Now there are reasons why people stick with the popular skin care ingredient/s. 1. It works on their skin type 2. It has been backed up by dermatologists/estheticians 3. Availability of that certain ingredient Although it’s fun and refreshing to see some unfamiliar ingredients on a skin care product, we still have to be cautious and do our own research so we can have knowledge on these new skin care ingredients. I’m interested on what ingredients are going to be taking over the skin care community soon.
Pepti-Cotton Ampoule Essence

Menokin
Pepti-Cotton Ampoule Essence

star rating

(1)

favorite

Pear Serum

I'M FROM
Pear Serum

star rating

(112)

favorite

Magic Beauty Shroom

Chasin' Rabbits
Magic Beauty Shroom

star rating

(20)

favorite

upvote

comment

12 Comments

amg3268 user profile picture

amg3268

Oily/Sensitive

I personally think it’s just harder for consumers to justify paying for a product that’s not as backed up by research in terms of results, for example the benefits of pear. Maybe pear is great at brightening, but I’d rather stick to something I know will do that 100% like Niacinamide or Vitamin C. But if it’s under $10, I’d definitely be willing to give more unique ingredients a try.
upvote

comment

mochiface user profile picture

mochiface

Dry/Sensitive

Lol yes even James Welsh talked about it. I'm From even have a Fig line and it feels like they just put fruit extracts on their products to sound nice. I would rather spend money on researched ingredients. And most reviews that I read about the pear line is just meh.
upvote

comment

skinjaem user profile picture

skinjaem

Oily/Resilient

oh I just knew that there's such a thing called cotton fruit 😳 thank you so much for sharing, it's indeed really fun to explore more ingredients being use in skincare products!!
upvote

comment

hedrix

Oily/Resilient

Cotton fruit extract/water is fairly new to me, I actually reviewed a brand that uses cotton fruit extract/water on their products 😅 it’s up on my Instagram if you want to check it out.
upvote

comment

theskinilivein user profile picture
picky squad user badge

theskinilivein

Oily/Sensitive

From a marketing point of view I think it makes more sense to formulate with ingredients that have been backed up by science, since most people will already be familiar and trusting with those. A brand may try to come up with uncommon ingredients in their formulations once they get trust and recognition from their customer base since they will have more chances of selling the product that way, rather than going for it with the first launch when they're not as established as a brand.
upvote

comment

elizabeth user profile picture

elizabeth

Dry/Sensitive

i actually like that different brands are coming up with products with the same active ingredient. So consumers have more choice based on their budget, availability and skintype.
upvote

comment

hedrix

Oily/Resilient

Yes that too! As a consumer we get a chance to do a compare and contrast between the products.
upvote

comment

FrahNjhah user profile picture

FrahNjhah

Oily/Resilient

new ingrediants i learnt. wow all products mentioned looks interesting too
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x VT Cosmetics | Reedle Shot Face Mask Set & Reedle Shot 300 event

Picky x VT Cosmetics | Reedle Shot Face Mask Set & Reedle Shot 300

Audience

All Users

Deadline

October 25th

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!