picky logo
picky logo
Produkcurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus โž•

Kandungan

Butterbeans666 user profile picture

Butterbeans666

Berminyak/Tidak Sensitif

dot24,520 Dilihat

Why does Alpha Arbutin turn brown over time and is it still safe and/or effective to use if it does?

I have a half-used bottle of Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA concentrated serum that I got from The Ordinary maybe about 4 or 5 years ago. And I think I remember it turned brown-ish within a year, and has gotten a bit browner since then even though I tried my best to not leave it near sunlight or other light at first. I hate letting products go to waste though and am wondering if this is safe/effective enough to use on other parts of the body that are not the face? Such as on my legs, arms, etc? I'm curious also if anyone knows and can explain the chemistry of why this serum turned brown over time while my Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum from The Ordinary bought around the same time has stayed clear? If the Alpha Arbutin has become less effective or safe over time due to its turning brown, I was wondering if someone could explain exactly what happens to the chemistry of the Aalpha Arbutin over time to cause that? I heard that certain other types of clear serums that have turned brown/expired are unsafe to use on the skin once they've changed color, and I was wondering also if anyone remembered which ones and could explain what changed in its chemistry to make those serums unsafe past its expiration date? Thanks so much to anyone that's able to answer one or more of my questions! ๐Ÿ˜Šโค I've been curious about this for a while, and enjoy learning about the chemistry of these kind of things! ๐ŸŸ
carousel
carousel
upvote

comment

19 Komentar

iibubblii user profile picture

iibubblii

Kering/Tidak Sensitif

Hi, I actually talked about this in one of my reviews. I didn't go in depth though. The color changing you see is present in all forms of vitamin c acids. It's due to it's nature to react to oxygen. This is called oxidation. When vitamin c is constantly exposed to the air we breathe in, it starts to lose its hydrogen atoms. This decreases the effectiveness of the acid. You can still use, but it will no longer be at the percentage you bought it at. That's why vitamin c serums are sold in small quantities. Think of it as you have a jar of smoke and every time you open it, some of the smoke escapes. Eventually you will have none left.
upvote

comment

Butterbeans666

Berminyak/Tidak Sensitif

Thank you for explaining! So is Alpha Arbutin basically the same thing as Vitamin C, or least, it's a different form of Vitamin C, right? I think The Ordinary also sells some products that say Vitamin C directly too, so I'm wondering what the benefits of using two different forms of vitamin C would be to the skin?
upvote

comment

hdlums user profile picture

hdlums

Berminyak/Tidak Sensitif

I saw a dermatologist video (Dr. Ingky), he said its their natural occurence that the product change color over the time. Its alright to use the product even after the color changes. From what ive learned, it is because of the oxidation, they absorb oxygen from the outside or exposed to light/heat. No worries still effective even not as effective as before the color changes. Thats the reason why serum always in a small bottle (estimated 1-2 months), or in dark amber glass bottle. Also, recommended not to keep serum in hot and humid places.
upvote

comment

Butterbeans666

Berminyak/Tidak Sensitif

Awesome, thank you! That is good to know! I've heard mixed things from some friends about Alpha Arbutin's effectiveness/safety after turning brown after a few years but had some trouble locating a concrete definitive source from professionals that explained whether or not it could still be safe to use, and why or why not.
upvote

comment

HelgaAv user profile picture

HelgaAv

Berminyak/Tidak Sensitif

I am curious about this as well
upvote

comment

Butterbeans666

Berminyak/Tidak Sensitif

Thanks for commenting! I hope that we both can find out the answer to this! โค
upvote

comment

theartofskincarett user profile picture

theartofskincarett

Kering/Sensitif

Discard this...itโ€™s probably past itโ€™s PAO
upvote

comment

Butterbeans666

Berminyak/Tidak Sensitif

Sorry, what does PAO stand for?
upvote

comment

ayuvita23 user profile picture

ayuvita23

Berminyak/Tidak Sensitif

You got it 4-5 years ago ? Maybe its too long period and now maybe expired ?
upvote

comment

Acara Terbatas Waktu

kbeauty Picky x Nacific | Fresh Herb Origin Serum event

Picky x Nacific | Fresh Herb Origin Serum

Hadirin

Semua pengguna

Batas Waktu

September 27th

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Saatnya menjadi Picky

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!