picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus âž•

Brand Talk

Betweendots user profile picture
picky squad user badge

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

dot2,166 Views

Have you heard about latest controversy on Avene aka #avenegate related to sunscreen

Have you heard about the newest controversy on Avene SPF? Caroline Hirons made an Instastory on how Avene in the US (and probably UK) promoted their sunscreen as mineral oil free, octocrylene and oxybenzone free. Avene is a French brand which in some countries we call cosmeceutical/dermocosmetic brand. Are these ingredients bad? No, but marketing team of Avene in the US went a little bit into clean beauty I guess. Oxybenzone is a sunscreen agent that covers UVB and UVA rays (not all UVA, just a small spectrum from entire UVA spectrum). This ingredient usually helps to stabilise other sunscreens. Octocrylene protects from UVB and UVA II, it also stabilise other sunscreen substances and improved water resistance of cosmetics. Mineral oil or paraffinum liquidum is an emollient, the controversy around this ingredient is because its a refined petroleum. Should you be scared of it? No, since mineral oil and petroleum are two different substances but just like some surfactants are derived from coconut oil, some substances are derived from petroleum or other substances. Also, all chemical ingredients need to fit some requirements to be used in products. What's the controversy about? While US Avene promotes their products as mineral oil, octocrylene and oxybenzone free - they sell products with such ingredients in Europe. I wonder if you heard about it and what do you think about this case. Do you use Avene? Will you still support this brand after such an oopsie?
carousel
carousel
carousel
upvote

comment

79 Comments

skingal user profile picture

skingal

Dry/Resilient

Thanks for the thorough overview of the scandal! I love some good skin care drama. I am personally very sensitive to mineral oil and I breakout so if I spent money on this brand Id be annoyed.
upvote

comment

picky squad user badge

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

You're welcome. I wonder how they are going to do since from what I've seen they decided to remove all posts related to this topic
upvote

comment

S

skincarethirst

Oily/Resilient

I haven't used any of their products but I had some on my wishlist and I don't think I will be purchasing anything from them
upvote

comment

picky squad user badge

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

I tried Avene before and I really like it, I guess it's an outsource marketing team who did oopsie, but even if there are people in Avene who should focus on what marketing teams are publishing
upvote

comment

TRANSCENDENT user profile picture
super picky user badge

TRANSCENDENT

Oily/Resilient

Yes! Just got to know about this today. Went through all her stories you are showing here. Long had a number of their products on my wishlist, none sunscreen products. Would like to see how Avene responds.
upvote

comment

picky squad user badge

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

I also wonder if they'll post any statement or not. So far it looks like a classical marketing team just putting everything under the carpet like it didn't happen. I liked Avene Sunsimed since if the sun is really bad I might do for it - it's a medical grade sunscreen and I had some mild skin cancer issues before so I prefer to be safe but I guess I might go for other brand instead of Avene now
upvote

comment

ishiskin user profile picture

ishiskin

Dry/Sensitive

omg I’ve never heard about this one 🤭
upvote

comment

picky squad user badge

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

It's quite new and unpopular, it didn't get as big as so called Purito gate
upvote

comment

Skincarebuddy07 user profile picture

Skincarebuddy07

Oily/Sensitive

and I just brought the exact sunscreen yesterday! (the tinted one) thank you for sharing this
upvote

comment

picky squad user badge

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

You're welcome :) I think we don't have this one in Europe, but now I might actually go to pharmacy to check it
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Benton TikTok Shop Cashback | Try Benton Products, Get Cashback! event

Picky x Benton TikTok Shop Cashback | Try Benton Products, Get Cashback!

Audience

All Users

Deadline

May 20th

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!