picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Skin Concern

Rajae user profile picture

Rajae

Oily/Resilient

dot402 Views

HY PICKY COMMUNITY 🥰🥰

I want to know the difference between Toner and essence please !!
upvote

comment

16 Comments

Beautyaleert user profile picture

Beautyaleert

Dry/Sensitive

toners are used to balance the skin's ph level wich gets distributed by cleansers and it preps the skin for the incoming steps. there are two types of toners: 1. hydrating/calming toners 2. exfoliating toners essences on the other hand are used for hydration and healing purposes. they have more active ingredients than moisturizers (similar to serums/ampoules). some people consider essences as an optional step, a luxury, but personally speaking, my skin benefits a lot from them (especially during winter). there is a middle ground between these two in Japanese skincare. you'd mostly hear lotion when you look at Japanese skincare products, it works as both a toner and an essence and has usually a thick texture. in Korean skincare they are used separately. I hope this answers your question ❤
upvote

comment

Kaiiixx user profile picture

Kaiiixx

Oily/Resilient

Great explanation 🤩🙌🏻
upvote

comment

MeliAnn user profile picture

MeliAnn

Dry/Sensitive

Simply, an Essence is a thicker consistency than a toner and adds additional moisture for dry skin.💙
upvote

comment

hexamuted user profile picture

hexamuted

Dry/Resilient

toners are lighter base layers that go on after you cleanse your face. they get rid of excess oil and dirt, prep the face for later steps, and help skincare products absorb more easily. *when I say lighter, I mean in terms of layering… toners can be thick, watery, or creamy depending on the kind. essences are thicker formulas that help seal in moisture and heal the skin. they’re normally more concentrated than standard moisturizers and again, help your products absorb. I’m not a skincare expert at all, but I always think of it as your toner gets your skin ready for your products and your essence gets your face ready for moisture.
upvote

comment

weiweifam user profile picture

weiweifam

Oily/Resilient

well explained!
upvote

comment

Dreamjela user profile picture

Dreamjela

Oily/Resilient

Imagine your skin like a blank canvas. Toners are the base that prepares your skin for more advanced products. Essence is just another fancy Korean name of toner.
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty 	Picky x Skin1004 | Madagascar Centella Light Cleansing Oil event

Picky x Skin1004 | Madagascar Centella Light Cleansing Oil

Audience

All Users

Deadline

July 12th

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!