picky logo
Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus ➕

Ingredients

L

leelee8

Oily/Resilient

dot397 Views

Do AHAs increase skin thickness??

Hi everyone, my question is basically what the title says. But, to give a little more context, I've heard multiple times now through watching various skincare YouTube channels that AHAs can increase the skin's thickness and help promote collagen production. However, I've also read online that AHAs can thin the skin because they speed up cell turnover. I'm confused about which one is true or if both is true. So for those of you who are dermatologists, estheticians, or extensively read studies on things like this, which one have you found to be true?
upvote

comment

2 Comments

Betweendots user profile picture
picky squad user badge

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

Esthetician here, indeed aha helps to remove dead skin cells and show the newest skin cells to the world. AHA has many positive values for the skin and from logical point removing dead skin cells makes your skin thinner but the upper layer of the skin is usually a dead skin anyway - these cells did they work and went from deeper parts of the skin into the surface.
upvote

comment

L

leelee8

Oily/Resilient

Ok so, to make sure I'm understanding right, AHA just removes the layer of dead skin that would've eventually come off anyway, but faster?
upvote

comment

yyumilim user profile picture

yyumilim

Oily/Resilient

it depends? I think
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty 	Picky x Skin1004 | Madagascar Centella Light Cleansing Oil event

Picky x Skin1004 | Madagascar Centella Light Cleansing Oil

Audience

All Users

Deadline

July 12th

picky coins1000
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!