Do AHAs increase skin thickness?? | Ingredients

Ingredients

L

leelee8

Oily/Resilient

dot1,097 Views

Do AHAs increase skin thickness??

Hi everyone, my question is basically what the title says. But, to give a little more context, I've heard multiple times now through watching various skincare YouTube channels that AHAs can increase the skin's thickness and help promote collagen production. However, I've also read online that AHAs can thin the skin because they speed up cell turnover. I'm confused about which one is true or if both is true. So for those of you who are dermatologists, estheticians, or extensively read studies on things like this, which one have you found to be true?
upvote

3

comment

2

2 Comments

Betweendots user profile picture

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

Esthetician here, indeed aha helps to remove dead skin cells and show the newest skin cells to the world. AHA has many positive values for the skin and from logical point removing dead skin cells makes your skin thinner but the upper layer of the skin is usually a dead skin anyway - these cells did they work and went from deeper parts of the skin into the surface.
upvote

3

comment

0

Betweendots user profile picture

Betweendots

Oily/Sensitive

I'll just mention about the skin diseases related to skin cell turnover - psoriasis is one of diseases where skin cell turnover cycle is shorter and dead skin usually won't have enough time to lift from the skin. Obviously, I do not recommend exfoliation at home with psoriasis - it's better to contact doctor and ask for the best treatment for skin with psoriasis.
upvote

1

comment

0

yyumilim user profile picture

yyumilim

Oily/Resilient

it depends? I think
upvote

1

comment

0

Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!