Productscurationdiscussionpicky for creatorsJoin Picky Plus โž•

Routine Help

bohofleek user profile picture
picky squad user badge

bohofleek

Oily/Resilient

dot370 Views

SPF/Sun cream questions? ๐Ÿงด

I am not nearly as knowledgeable as many of our fellow Picky members so please bare with me. More than ever before I have been seeing brands and influencers push the use of sun cream. I understand that the sun accelerates aging, causes discoloration and age spots, skin cancer, ect. (especially the skin on our face and around our eyes.) But, has anyone else noticed a push of SPF products this year ? Is it because the sun is becoming more intense? I have always tried to use moisturizer with at least SPF 15 since I was a teenager but so many newer products seem to go as high as 50 + but is that really necessary? Also, if we use a serum and moisturizer during our AM daily routines are we supposed to put SPF cream on top of all that as well? Is sun cream the same as moisturizer but just with SPF/Sun protection? I am certainly not opposed to using SPF everyday but because I have such oily skin (especially in the Summer months), I like to use as little moisturizers as possible. With all that being said, these are my main questions: 1๏ธโƒฃ Can a sun cream be substituted for your moisturizer or should you use both? If so, should you use sun cream in Winter months too or mainly just during the summer? 2๏ธโƒฃ What kind of sun cream is preferred? Mineral or chemical? 3๏ธโƒฃ Any recommendations of how to tackle oily skin (especially in the Summer when it gets hot and humid) so that my face doesnโ€™t look like I slathered butter all over my face? ๐Ÿงˆ Thank you in advance for any advice. I have been pondering this topic for awhile now so I thought I would ask the best skincare community I know. ๐Ÿ˜Š I have the following sun creams and I think one or two others. Does anyone have a good recommendation for oily skin? I am not even kidding when I say my skin gets so oily that by the end of the day, itโ€™s shiny and it looks as if I washed my face with grease.
Relief Sun Rice + Probiotics SPF50+ PA++++

BEAUTY OF JOSEON
Relief Sun Rice + Probiotics SPF50+ PA++++

star rating

(1108)

favorite

Mild Sun Cream SPF50+ PA++++

Real Barrier
Mild Sun Cream SPF50+ PA++++

star rating

(15)

favorite

Centella Asiatica Sun Cream SPF 50+ PA++++

MIXSOON
Centella Asiatica Sun Cream SPF 50+ PA++++

star rating

(626)

favorite

Sun Project Skin Relief Sun Cream SPF50+ PA++++

THANK YOU FARMER
Sun Project Skin Relief Sun Cream SPF50+ PA++++

star rating

(309)

favorite

upvote

comment

18 Comments

Ozu user profile picture

Ozu

Oily/Sensitive

Hi there, I think there was certainly a push in the social media towards using more sunscreens, but I am seeing less of those lately. The SPF 50+ might not be for everyone, especially those who reside in a place where UV index is low. However, it's necessary for where I live, and SPF 50 is a basic here. For your questions, 1. Yes if it's moisturizing enough for you. You can use both if you need more moisturization. You want to use sunscreen when the UV index is high (more UV rays) whether it's summer or winter. As snow reflects UV rays as well, you might need sunscreen. 2. It's a well discussed topic in which both have their pros and cons. Mineral is basically less irritating for sensitive skin but it has white cast, and vice versa. 3. From my experience, you might want to stay away from anything that labelled as hydrating sunscreen. Get a light sunscreen instead. I recommend skin1004 water fit sunscreen and benton mineral sunscreen. The Benton in particular keep me grease free all day.
Mineral Sun Cream SPF50+/PA++++

BENTON
Mineral Sun Cream SPF50+/PA++++

star rating

(120)

favorite

Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Water-Fit Sun Serum SPF50+ PA++++

SKIN1004
Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Water-Fit Sun Serum SPF50+ PA++++

star rating

(3210)

favorite

upvote

comment

tramtram2411 user profile picture

tramtram2411

Oily/Sensitive

thanks for sharing
upvote

comment

lise444 user profile picture

lise444

Oily/Sensitive

hello! spf is necessary, every day. if you're indoors around a sunny window all day or out doors for periods of time. it's seeming to be pushed but only because the threat of skin cancer and sun damage is getting worse and worse with the environment changing. i have very oily skin as well and I will use a light moisturizer under and then a sunscreen over the top in the colder months, and in summer I totally skip the moisturizer. it's fine to do that. but it is very important to wear it. I like more chemical sunscreens preferably, they leave less cast but I look for ones that dry down easy or are gels because I am so oily too. you'll still get oily but it takes longer, you're protected and you can use oil absorbing sheets to dab the excess later on. these two are my favorites. spf 15 is not enough, you need at least 30 or more and to reapply every 2 hrs, less so if you're indoors. hope that helps ๐Ÿฅฐ
UV Super Water Gel Sunscreen SPF50 PA+++

Nivea
UV Super Water Gel Sunscreen SPF50 PA+++

star rating

(57)

favorite

UV Super Moisture Gel SPF50+ PA++++

SKIN AQUA
UV Super Moisture Gel SPF50+ PA++++

star rating

(80)

favorite

upvote

comment

Bazz user profile picture
super picky user badge

Bazz

Dry/Resilient

No, SPF has pretty much being pushed thorough out the years. Now people are appreciating the ones coming out from Europe, Asia and Australia. Newer filters that North America brands cannot do, which is so much superior imho. Yeah if you use serums and moisturizer, you need SPF because those two does not have it. Mineral or synthetic? Choose the one that feels the best for you skinn you want to wear it everyday. You can try mattifying sun screen or creams but theyโ€™re really expensive. So I just end up using a brush that I use to apply face powder to absorb all the oils or use some blotting papers if my face gets oily due to the humid heat. Yeah โ€œsun creamโ€ or Spf with at 30 SPF can be used without a moisturizer if it is formulated well.
upvote

comment

skindaisies2 user profile picture

skindaisies2

Dry/Sensitive

1) yes you can use sunscreen inplace of moisturiser! use sunscreen in winter (during the daylight hours) too 2) i personally prefer chemical as there's usually no whitecast and tends to be more moisturising, but mineral tends to work better for sensitive skin 3) you can try sunscreens that contain alcohol!
upvote

comment

K-Beauty Giveaway Events

kbeauty Picky x Dear, Klairs | Freshly Juiced Vitamin E Mask & Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop event

Picky x Dear, Klairs | Freshly Juiced Vitamin E Mask & Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop

Audience

All Users

Deadline

October 18th

picky coins500
Picky app preview

Join the Picky Community

The Picky community helps you discover new products through discussion boards, honest reviews, expert articles and redeemable free product rewards. #GetPicky!